A Guide to Overcoming Vertigo
Vertigo is a sense of movement even when standing still. There is a feeling that the world around is moving or spinning. It may be acute or chronic and sometimes it becomes difficult to keep balance and perform everyday tasks. Symptoms of vertigo may last for a short period or may last longer. In severe vertigo, symptoms may be present constantly.
Causas da vertigem
There is an imbalance in the inner ear which causes vertigo. Certain other problems cause vertigo:
- Meniere’s disease that affects the inner ear and produces an imbalance
- Severe headaches are known as migraines
- Inflammation of the vestibular nerve that sends messages from the inner ear to the brain to control balance
- Vertigo can also be caused by viral infections in the inner ear, injuries to the brain and brainstem
- Benign positional vertigo may be produced when the head is held in different positions
- Static hypotension can also result in vertigo due to an insufficient supply of blood to the brain
Symptoms of the vertigo
- There is light-headedness
- Nausea e vomito
- Sensation as if the room is spinning around
- Loss of balance which can cause drowsiness
- Visão dupla
- Weakness in the extremities and slurred speech
- Ringing in the ears
Conventional treatment for vertigo include medicines that reduce nausea and relieve the sensation of spinning. Other medications include antidepressants that help in reducing the severity of symptoms but often have many side effects.
Natural treatment for Vertigo
Simple natural remedies greatly help in getting rid of recurrent attacks of vertigo.
- Ginger is an excellent natural remedy that helps to counterbalance the symptoms quickly when taken regularly.
- Ginkgo Biloba is another herbal remedy that improves blood flow to the brain and offsets the vertigo attack.
- Another important home remedy for vertigo is a concoction prepared by adding black pepper, lemon juice, and saltwater.
- Dehydration is believed to be one of the important reasons for vertigo. Lack of water causes certain other physical symptoms such as weakness, dry skin, fatigue, etc. Therefore, it is important to drink the necessary amount of water to keep oneself hydrated.
- It is said that anxiety and vertigo are interrelated. One may lead to the other. People suffering from anxiety disorders may experience severe vertigo attacks. People with anxiety should practice yoga and meditation to manage stress and anxiety.
Some lifestyle changes
Simple lifestyle changes can bring great relief from vertigo. Do not get up immediately or rapidly from the bed.
- Take four to five small servings of food during the day rather than taking heavy meals at one time.
- Take proper and adequate amount of sleep
- Practice deep breathing exercises and avoid alcohol and other habit forming substances
- Keep your head slightly raised while sleeping
- Do not extend your neck while reaching up to a high shelf
- Move carefully while going on steps or escalators or in dark rooms