Are There Any Natural Remedies For Stomach Ulcers?
Stomach Ulcers also known as gastric ulcers are the painful, open sores in the lining of the stomach. This happens when the mucus lining of the stomach becomes ineffective. The acid produced by the stomach tissue starts damaging the mucus of the stomach, and slowly the mucus layer gets worn off and stops functioning normally. Stomach Ulcers are treated well when diagnosed properly, but can also cause significant changes when left untreated. Usually stomach Ulcers are common in Western Countries and easy to treat too. Stomach Ulcers are one of the types of the Peptic Ulcers. Peptic Ulcers are the ulcers which affect the stomach as well as the small intestine specially the duodenum.
Is stomach ulcer bothering you? Consult with one of our doctors for free at www.biogetica.com.
Different Types Stomach Ulcers
- Gastric ulcer is one of the types of peptic ulcer. Peptic ulcer has two types namely Esophageal and Duodenal ulcers.
- Esophageal Ulcers occur in the lining of the oesophagus. Oesophagus is the tube that connects the throat and mouth to the stomach cavity.
- Duodenal ulcers occur in the duodenum, which is the uppermost part of the small intestine.
- Usually all the ulcers share the similar pathology only the location of the ulcer defines the type of the ulcer.
Causes Of The Gastric Ulcer
The most important causes of the gastric or stomach ulcers are as follows:
- Infection with the H pylori bacteria.
- Prolonged use of NSAID’s (Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory drugs) like aspirin and ibuprofen.
- Hyperacidity or excess stomach acidity.
- Stressful state of mind.
- Habits like smoking and drinking alcohol.
- Foods causing hyperacidity.
- Zollinger- Ellison syndrome which increases the gastric juice production in the stomach leading to hyperacidity.
- Old age people are at high risk.
Symptoms of Gastric Ulcer
Many symptoms are associated with the gastric ulcers; the severity of the symptoms depends upon how much the ulcer is!
The most common symptom seen is burning sensation in the middle of the chest or near the belly button or in the whole abdomen sometimes. The pain is typically more intense when you are empty stomach. It usually lasts for a few minutes to hours later. The pain is described as “biting” or “gnawing “pain in the stomach.
The classic symptom of gastric ulcer is indigestion also known as dyspepsia.
Heartburn can also be caused by acid reflux or gastro oesophageal reflux also known as GERD. It is felt in the lower chest and upper part of the stomach.
Other symptoms of stomach ulcer include –
- Perda de peso
- Loss of appetite
- Pain decreases after eating or drinking.
- Sensation of fullness in the stomach.
- Dark stools
- Anaemia in some cases
Diagnosis Of Stomach Ulcer
For diagnosis of the stomach ulcer, the doctor may ask you various questions regarding your pain or any prescription medications going on.
Usually to rule out the H Pylori infection, the doctor asks you to do laboratory investigation of the stools and also check the breath test.
If there is bleeding from the stools, then few further investigations are needed like –
- Barium Swallow – the patient is asked to drink thick white liquid that coats your upper gastrointestinal tract and the X ray is taken to rule out the defect.
- Endoscopy – A thin tube is inserted into your mouth and further into your stomach to the small intestine. This test helps to look into any ulcers or any bleeding from the tissues.
- Biopsy- Biopsy of the stomach tissue is also done and sent to the laboratory in some cases to rule out the cause of the ulcer if it is malignant or not.
Treatment Options For Stomach Ulcer
The treatment of stomach ulcer depends upon the cause of the ulcer. The symptoms of the ulcer can be treated by protecting the ulcer from the acid produced. Certain drugs help to heal the ulcer like –
- Proton pump inhibitors which block the acid producing cells.
- H2 receptor antagonists which prevents the stomach from producing the excess acid.
- Use of probiotics
- Bismuth supplement
If the ulcer is due to H Pylori infection then the treatment must be continued for a long period of time.
In some cases surgery is the mode of treatment where ulcer continues to return. Surgery helps to
- Remove the ulcer.
- Tie the bleeding blood vessels.
- Sewing the tissue from the other site to the affected site.
- Cut off the nerve which helps in controlling the acid production.
Natural Remedies For Stomach Ulcer
Natural remedies or treatments for gastric ulcer include Ayurveda, Homeopathy and dietary supplements that focus on addressing the root cause of the issue. Gastric ulcer is caused when the stomach lining is affected and not able to function normally. Natural supplements are believed to balance and improve the functioning of the stomach tissue and strengthen the immunity. To know more about our trendsetting products consult one of our doctors https://www.biogetica.com/is-there-any-treatment-to-cure-peptic-ulcers
Natural ingredients like Argentinum nitricum, Causticum, Natrum Phos, Aloe vera have shown good results in clinical studies in gastric ulcer.
- Fagopyrum – Studies suggest that this natural remedy may help in normalizing the gastric secretions.  https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/fstr/12/3/12_3_199/_article/-char/ja/
- Argentinum Nitricum – Studies suggest that this natural remedy may help in reducing the acid reflux.  https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Humera_Anser/publication/299831830_Evaluation_of_anti_inflammatory_activity_of_Argentum_nitricum_Staphysagria_and_Ignatia_amara_in_experimental_animal_model/links/57ceeaa308aed678970110d9/Evaluation-of-anti-inflammatory-activity-of-Argentum-nitricum-Staphysagria-and-Ignatia-amara-in-experimental-animal-model.pdf
- Piper longum Pippali – studies suggest that this natural herb may help in improving the digestion and reduce the inflammation.  http://nopr.niscair.res.in/handle/123456789/24104
- Withania Somnifera Ashwagandha – studies suggest that this natural remedy is believed to improve the digestion and proper assimilation of nutrients.
- Milk Thistle – studies suggest that this natural remedy is believed to regulate the bowel movements and eliminate the toxins from the body.  https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0009279717305495
- Syzygium aromaticum Lavanga – Studies suggest that this remedy may help to strengthen the stomach mucosal lining.  https://ijpjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/1-Vol.-2-Issue-1-Jan-2015-IJP-RE-135-Paper-1.pdf
Diet Recommendations For Gastric Ulcer
Diet plays a crucial role in maintaining and preventing the further progress in the stomach ulcer. Certain foods are good to be taken as they help to promote healthy tissue growth of the stomach and help to fight the infection against the H pylori bacteria.
Foods to be consumed are as follows-
- Foods good in probiotics like yogurt, tempers are rich in good bacteria which help to fight against the H pylori infection.
- Foods rich in dietary high fibre are shown to reduce the risk of developing stomach ulcers like apples, pear, oats, etc. fibrous foods help to lower the acid amount in your stomach, and it also reduces the bloating and pain in the stomach.
- Foods rich in Vitamin C like tomatoes, oranges, legumes, red bell pepper, kiwi, strawberries, broccoli, etc play an important role in wound healing.
- Foods rich in vitamin A like sweet potato are shown to help shrink the ulcers and also prevent them.
- Vitamin foods like carrot, spinach, cantaloupe, and beef are shown to be beneficial.
- Zinc also plays an important role in maintaining a healthy immune system and healing wounds. Foods like oysters, spinach and beef are good in zinc.
- Selenium also reduces the infection complications and promotes wound healing. Foods like nuts; fishes like tuna are a rich source of selenium.
- Olive oil also helps to boost the immune power so it is beneficial to add in your diet.
Foods to be avoided are like –
- Milk is said to be avoided as it has shown no significant improvement in the acidic nature of the stomach. Earlier doctors used to advise drinking milk but milk can’t prevent ulcer but actually it makes the condition worse.
- Alcohol is to be avoided if you have an ulcer or prone to it. Alcohol directly damages the lining of the digestive tract and promotes ulceration of the tissues.
- Fatty foods can worsen the condition as they are not easily digested and can cause more bloating and pain in the abdomen.
- Spicy food can trigger the pain, so it is better to be avoided.
- Chocolate in some cases can worsen the ulceration and the pain increases. So it is better to be avoided in case of ulcers.
- Coffee is also seen to make acid reflux hence it is better to be omitted.
Home Remedies For Stomach Ulcers
Along with the help of dietary foods certain home remedies with the help of the foods available at home can help to reduce the pain in stomach ulcers.
- Honey is shown to be very effective in case of stomach ulcers. Honey must be consumed regularly as it is antimicrobial and also has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Garlic is also seen to be effective. Eating two cloves of garlic daily can be seen effective to treat the ulcers.
- Chamomile has also proved to have anti-inflammatory properties. It is advised to drink chamomile tea regularly to decrease the pain and bloating sensation.
- Aloe vera is also very much beneficial in soothing the inflammatory pain.
Natural remedies for Gastric ulcer are a combination of Homeopathic formulations, Ayurvedic herbs, and dietary supplements. These natural supplements along with an improved lifestyle and adequate diet can help to address all the aspects of Gastric ulcers. Biogetica combines all these natural remedies to target gastric ulcer in an integrated manner from its root cause so that effects can last for a long time. All the Biogetica products are strongly supported with clinical data from Ayurveda and Homeopathy and are supported by modern research and clinical trials. If you want to know natural, safe, and effective natural remedies for improving your digestive system with regards to gastric ulcer or consult a doctor for free, please click on the link https://www.biogetica.com/is-there-any-treatment-to-cure-peptic-ulcers