The Ketogenic Diet: A Detailed Beginner’s Guide To Keto For 2021.
There is no doubt that the ketogenic diet still reigns as one of the most popular and sought after diets. What is the Keto diet, exactly? Here’s everything you need to know about the Keto diet.
What Is A Ketogenic Diet?
A ketogenic diet includes low carbs and high amounts of fat. It is useful for maintaining good health as it helps in losing weight, managing blood glucose levels, and also improves overall health. A person on the ketogenic diet will reduce carbohydrates intake and start taking fats. This results in a process called ketosis. Your body starts using fat for producing energy.
Different Types Of Ketogenic Diets
The ketogenic diets are of different types such as:
Standard Ketogenic Diet: It is a diet with very low carb, moderate protein and high fats. It mainly consists of 70% fat, 20% protein and 10% carbs. Guidelines for a standard ketogenic diet are:
- You do not count calories and eat until you feel full.
- You can eat three times per day, but there is no set time for meals.
Cyclic Ketogenic Diet: This diet includes periods of high carb intake. For example, you can eat a ketogenic diet for 5 days followed by two high carb days. This type of diet is mainly adopted by athletes.
Targeted Ketogenic Diet: This diet includes the addition of high carbs during workouts. Eating carbs before exercise helps in enhancing the performance of an athlete and eating after doing exercise helps in quick recovery and also improves the fitness goals of an athlete.
High protein ketogenic diet: This is similar to the standard ketogenic diet. But, it consists of more proteins. It includes 60 percent fat, 35 percent protein, and 5 percent carbs. This is an effective diet for people who want to lose weight.
To know more about the different types of keto diets, consult one for our doctors for free. Visit www.biogetica.com for more details!
A ketogenic diet helps many people to lose weight. Research shows that a ketogenic diet is more effective for a long term weight loss as compared to a low-fat diet. It also helps in reducing the risk of other diseases such as high blood pressure and high cholesterol levels. The diet helps in losing fat, preserving muscle mass, and improving overall health. A ketogenic diet helps in losing weight in the following ways:
- In some ketogenic diets, a person has to take more proteins which helps in losing weight.
- The body starts converting fat and protein into carbs for getting energy. This helps in burning more calories during the day.
- A ketogenic diet helps you to feel full and reduces hunger. This happens due to changes in hormones that are responsible for causing hunger. The main hormones include leptin and ghrelin.
- A ketogenic diet improves insulin sensitivity and helps in using more energy and also increases the rate of metabolism.
- Research studies also suggest that the ketogenic diet also helps in reducing fat storage in the body. It reduces the process of converting sugar into fat. When there is less intake of carbs, fats are used for energy. Click here https://www.biogetica.com/lose-fat-herbal-weight-loss to know more about the weight loss remedies
- A ketogenic diet also increases the amount of fat-burning in the body especially when you exercise and perform daily living activities.
Thus, in this way, a ketogenic diet may help in losing weight. Make sure that you are taking in proper calories to meet your body needs. If you cut down calorie intake, it slows down your metabolism and it will become harder to lose weight.
Ketogenic Diets For Diabetes And Prediabetes
Diabetes is a metabolic disorder in which blood glucose level increases. People with type 2 diabetes are mostly overweight. A ketogenic diet may be useful for diabetes and prediabetes because when a person starts taking a ketogenic diet his body starts using fat for energy instead of using carbs.
As a ketogenic diet includes intake of low carbs, therefore it helps in decreasing blood glucose levels. It becomes easier to manage blood glucose levels. If you have high blood glucose levels and eat too many carbs, it could be dangerous. When you switch to fats, you can experience a reduction in your blood glucose levels. Studies also show that a ketogenic diet also helps in improving insulin sensitivity and reducing body fat.
Foods To Avoid When On A Keto Diet
When you are on a keto diet, you should avoid eating foods that are high in carbs. A list of foods is given here that should be limited or avoided when on a keto diet.
- Avoid eating sugary foods such as fruit juice, cake, ice-creams, candies, soda, etc.
- Avoid grains, wheat-based products, rice, pasta, cereals, etc.
- Avoid all fruits that have high sugar content.
- Peas, beans, lentils, chickpeas should also be avoided
- Vegetables such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, etc., should be avoided because they have high sugar content.
- Drinks such as beer, wine, alcohol, and caffeinated drinks should be avoided.
- Avoid eating processed foods.
Foods To Eat
You can include the following foods in your meals:
- Red meat, ham, bacon, chicken, and turkey are safe to eat
- Fish including salmon, tuna, mackerel, and trout can be included
- Omega-3 whole eggs or pastured eggs
- Unprocessed cheese such as cheddar, cream, blue, or mozzarella cheese may be included
- Nuts and seeds such as almonds, flaxseeds, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc., are good
- Avocados, green vegetables, onions, tomatoes, etc.
- Salt, pepper, herbs, and spices are all beneficial.
According to Ayurveda, one should eat food according to your body type composition. A keto diet can help to address the issues caused by doshas in your body. It is believed that most of the diseases occur due to a Vata imbalance. If Vata is imbalanced it leads to pitta and Kapha.
If your body type has Kapha as the primary dosha then you should include the foods from the keto list for Kapha. It does not mean that you have to exclude other foods because your body is composed of all the three doshas, and it is important to eat a balanced diet. It only means that you should include the foods based on the order of your dosha composition so that you can get the best diet.
So, foods from the first dosha or primary dosha list are important for everyday foods because these foods will help your body to maintain optimum health. Foods that correspond to the second dosha can be included in moderate amounts, and foods that correspond to the smallest dosha should be eaten once in a while or in very small quantities.
Now, some people may have two doshas that are relatively equal. In such a case, it is better to eat foods from both food lists corresponding to the two main doshas. You may observe that one dosha may predominate the other during different times of the year.
Some people may have a Tri-dosha body type. In such cases, people should not eat food from one category to keep your body in balance. You can make your eating seasonal. This will be very useful for your general body health. It may be difficult to follow a diet based on your dosha.
Ayurveda has categorized foods so that you know what foods are good for your body depending on your body dosha. You can easily find out the foods that are good for your body based on your body dosha and what is not good for your body.
So, you only have to find out what type of dosha your body has. Then, you can eat foods from the different food lists according to your Ayurveda body type composition. When you start eating the right foods, your metabolism will improve, and will start burning fats. It will also help in quick healing of the diseases because your body will start getting what it needs.
Dr Ritu Sandhu, B.H.M.S., Homeopath, and NASH member graduated From Chandigarh Homeopathic Medical College and Hospital, Chandigarh, INDIA is a licensed Homeopathy practitioner since the last seventeen years. She writes on health-related topics to share her cumulative experience. Her mission is to uphold the time-honored values of compassion and humanity when caring for patients.